JOB TITLE: Payroll Specialist
REPORTS TO: Sr. Manager, Payroll
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
The Payroll Specialist is responsible for processing payroll for all employees of the Chicago Cubs and several other related entities in a timely, organized, confidential and professional manner on a Bi-weekly basis. Payroll is processed internally using Workday and ABI (time reporting) except for payroll tax reporting, which is processed by an outside tax service provider. An understanding of payroll and timekeeping systems, payroll taxation and reporting, and general accounting concepts are critical competencies for this position.
- Processes bi-weekly payroll using Workday Payroll for all major league players, minor league players, full-time, part-time and seasonal staff ensuring timeliness, accuracy and extreme confidentiality
- Administers the approval of time by managers and functional timekeepers, as well as reporting and enforcement processes to ensure compliance
- In collaboration with HR department, ensure that all authorized payroll information is reviewed, processed, updated and maintained in the payroll system
- Accurately prepares all payroll reports and general ledger interfaces in accordance with both internal and external deadlines.
- Generates all direct deposits, ad hoc in-house payroll checks, reissues and stop payments, and respond to employee or player financial advisor questions and requests
- Ensures appropriate state and local taxation for all employees, especially multi-jurisdiction taxation for players
- Inputs bi-weekly invoices for payroll taxes into the payables management system
- Answers questions about cash receipts from payroll service provider when they arise
- Administers all non-benefit deductions, including garnishment interpretation and disbursement and union dues for seasonal staff and players
- Assists manager with player 401K plan administration, including appropriate enrollment forms and payroll deductions
- Collaborates with HR regarding payments under the player college scholarship program
- Administers payroll system changes (e.g., union dues, LOA payments, 401K) when requested for current associates upon direction from HR Department
- Performs all transactions supporting quarter and year-end processing
- Supports manager as needed in responding to tax notices
- Serves as a subject matter expert for Workday Payroll system, including assistance with upgrades and special projects
- Assists with audits, tax and other ad hoc reporting and information requests
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university, and/or equivalent experience
- 3+ years of payroll processing experience, including at least 1 year using Workday Payroll
- Proficient in a Windows environment, with advanced Excel skills, as well as database familiarity
- Payroll tax filing knowledge – Federal, state, local and unemployment
- Multi-state payroll and W-2 experience
- Demonstrated critical thinking, problem solving and analytical skills
- Demonstrated customer service and communication skills
- Payroll system implementation experience
- Experience processing payroll for multiple companies, complex organizational structures, large seasonal staff and/or multiple FEINs
- Accounting knowledge or degree
- Certified Payroll Professional or other payroll certification
Due to the overwhelming number of applications we receive, we unfortunately may not be able to respond in person to each applicant. However, we can assure you that you will receive an email confirmation when you apply as well as additional email notifications whether you are selected to move forward for the position or not. Please note, we keep all resumes on file and will contact you should we wish to schedule an interview with you.
The Chicago Cubs and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to inclusion and employing a diverse workforce. All applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, disability, or other legally protected characteristics.
About Chicago Cubs
The Chicago Cubs franchise, a charter member of Major League Baseball’s National League since 1876, has won the National League pennant 17 times and was the first team to win back-to-back World Series titles in the 1907 and 1908 seasons. In 2016, the Chicago Cubs made history again when the team won its first World Series in 108 years, ending the longest championship drought in North American sports. Known for its ivy covered outfield walls, hand-operated scoreboard and famous Marquee, iconic Wrigley Field has been the home of the Chicago Cubs since 1914, making it the second oldest ballpark in Major League Baseball.