The Payroll Tax and Systems Coordinator is responsible for all payroll tax activities, including compliance and the filings of tax returns with Local, State and Federal regulations. They are also responsible for ensuring systems testing during scheduled releases as well as monitoring weekly adoption reporting for updates/fixes. Act as a liaison between Payroll Department, HR Business Solutions and Workday. The Payroll Tax and Systems Coordinator will provide daily leadership, direction, coaching to the team in conjunction with the Payroll Supervisor.
- Responsible for all payroll tax activities, including compliance with Local, State and Federal regulations and filing tax returns.
- Ensure calculation and reporting of tax liabilities are accurate and respond to questions and special requests from auditors and regulatory agencies. Research laws and regulations regarding taxes and payroll withholding procedures.
- Work closely with Payroll Supervisor in identifying the need for system revisions, formulating systems requests and recommendations through JIRA. Analyze post implementation results of those system updates.
- Lead the Payroll team through systems implementations and upgrades by creating testing scripts and validating accurate completion in the new environments. Help the Payroll team understand the implementation of payroll systems requirements and revisions.
- Work cross functionally with Payroll Technical and Systems Manager to ensure all issues are handled in a timely, accurate and professional manner.
- Keep the Payroll team informed of easier, quicker methods available for their use by utilizing the Workday community and other outside sources.
- Provide the Payroll department with leadership and continuous improvement of standards to enable a more customer focused, responsive department. Assume the Payroll Supervisor’s functions in his/her absence.
- Act as the subject matter expert (SME) for interactions with ADP for tax filings.
- Ensure that payroll information has been submitted from Store Operations, Administrative and Union areas of Wawa.
- Ensure that the necessary system interfaces have been properly loaded and contain accurate payments. Review various validation reports that are generated during the payroll processing cycle. Research and authorize adjustments to ensure that all Wawa associates are paid correctly.
- Operate in a high volume call area and interact frequently with associates and external vendors to resolve discrepancies and answer questions regarding payroll matters.
- Maintain knowledge of new system functionality and compliance changes.
- Provide direction and support for team and monitor and delegate work/goals in accordance with high standards of excellence. Provide feedback, coaching, support, assist with completion of performance appraisals, take corrective action when appropriate, and participate in hiring decisions.
- Ability to work well individually as well as in a team environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to work with little or no supervision
- Detail oriented and strong organizational skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to handle multiple projects
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Proven self-starter with demonstrated ability to make decisions
- Solid leadership skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Business (Accounting Major preferred) preferred
- CPP designation preferred
- 5 years of experience with automated payroll systems and extensive knowledge of Workday in a high volume environment
- 5+ years of experience with a third party tax filing and disbursement vendor (ADP preferred)
- Advanced experience with Microsoft Office programs, especially Excel and Word
About Wawa Inc.
Wawa is a recognized leader in the industry and we are looking for the best and brightest to add to our team. We have more than 800 locations throughout the Mid-Atlantic and Florida and are continually expanding. From store associates, management and corporate positions. We value diversity and strive to create an environment where individuals are valued for what they bring to the team.